Have you ever wondered why most African countries remain technologically underdeveloped unlike China, Japan, Singapore or USA?
Inspite of our numerous institutions: universities, polytechnics and colleges, we can’t even solve our problems, ourselves. Our own science only ends in the classrooms!
To get it right, Living Science Foundation (LSF), Ile-Ife (led by Prof. Joshua Ojo) in collaboration with AdasiScience is engaging young minds (high school science students) in seeking practical solutions to pests which is being compounded with the use of synthetic chemical pesticides.
The Theme for the LSF 2020 School Innovation Challenge is “Synthesis of Bio-pesticides using Locally-Sourced, Home-grown Materials: An Economic and Environment Friendly option for Pest Control”
Eligibility :Open to all innovative, solution-driven Government and Private Secondary Schools within the six (6) states of the South-West, Nigeria.
Three (3) Phases of the Challenge:
Phase I ( Essay Writing ): Your School is required to submit a concise, well-written essay-proposal (not more than 1000 words ) on the challenge theme with emphasis on how to formulate, produce and apply Biopesticides , of any kind , from locally-sourced, home-made organic materials (resources).
Please note , you will be required to produce the particular Biopesticide which you choose in your essay, if you qualify for the final stage.
A team of assessors will select the twenty (20) best schools base on quality and experimental feasibility of the submitted essay-proposal. These twenty (20) schools will make the phase II of the challenge.
Phase II ( Biopesticide Production ) : the schools will experimentally design and produce their proposed Biopesticide at this stage.
The winner will be selected and announced by the assessors.
*Phase III: (Biopesticide Exhibition). Winning school(s) shall exhibit their product (biopesticide of interest) at the 5th National Conference on Environment and Health with theme: “Combatting Environmental and Occupational Cancer in Nigeria” at Redeemers University , Ede, Osun State.
3 Entry Period and Application :
Phase I: Monday 13th January, 2020 – Monday, 24th February, 2020
Phase II: Monday 2nd March, 2020 – Monday, 23rd March, 2020
Phase III: Tuesday 14th April, 2020
How To Apply:
- Kindly submit your essay to any of these Email addresses; email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- For School Heads : Send this School Challenge Announcement to an assigned Science Teacher (Biology/Agric./Chemistry) to be assisted by the English teacher in your school.
- Supervising Teacher(s) to engage high school science students especially members of Science (JETS) Club to research on the Challenge Theme ‘Biopesticides Production from Local Resources’.
- Only one entry is required per school which should clearly indicate, name of school, names of two (2) student representatives and one (1) supervising teacher.
- Kindly wait for further information on your qualification to next round.
- For more enquiries kindly contact us on 08038272108, 08037761852 or log on to www.lsfnigeria.org/www.adasiempire.com